Saturday, June 27, 2009

Patio Distraction
















So this morning I woke up with every intention of declaring it "the day we finally finish this stinking bedroom," but as soon as we went in to start working, BD decided he needed to take down all the storm windows and wash them (and the screens) outside before he could proceed with anymore work. Since the rainy weather has kept me indoors most of the week, I decided to work on weeding my flower bed and join him outside, but that was before I remembered the patio project i started last week. Some time in the past of 29 Timson Street(we're guessing 30-50 years ago), some enterprising soul laid a brick patio in the backyard. While it's a bit too overgrown to even see the shape right now, it's a great organic curve, which I fully plan on taking advantage of one of these days. The only problem, of course, is that it's completely overgrown. It's almost as if immediately after it was put down, all maintenance ceased. "Well, it's done now. Let's just enjoy it." I started plain old weeding it last weekend, but then realized just how easily I could get up all the dirt, grass, and moss between the cracks with a big, ole' screwdriver. It's been slow going, but as you can see it's going to make a huge difference once it's all cleaned out and refilled in with sand. As you can see, in the bottom pic, BD slightly altered the shape of one end earlier in the year, so this cleaning up should hopefully work to blend the new and the old a little better, as well. In the meantime, I'll just keep dreaming of a neat and tidy patio with a picnic table and umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment