Today I made a stir fry for lunch in an attempt to use up some of the napa cabbage and scallions we got in our farm share this week. I tried to do the same thing last weekend in a much less successful attempt to use that week's bok choy. For whatever reason, I decided the bok choy was too good for my standard stir fry recipe with its stir fry sauce from a jar. Nope. The bok choy needed something special: a whole new recipe, sauce made from scratch, even a trip on its behalf to the local Chinese market. Needless to say, the final result turned out to be less than appetizing. It was so salty I could have drank a gallon of water and still not have been quenched, the corn starch in the sauce solidified instantly turning into hard white lumps, and the special mushrooms I bought at the store turned out to be less the delicate mushrooms I imagined and more like giant ears. I gallantly ate my helping, but BD didn't touch his and the majority went straight into the can.
This week I vowed to do things differently: make my standard stir fry (canned and jarred ingredients and all) and just substitute the scallions for onions and the napa cabbage for broccolli. All in all, it was a much tastier result.